Wednesday, June 11, 2014
OXNARD, Calif. (AP) — The city of Oxnard has agreed to pay $6.7 million to settle a lawsuit over the accidental killing of a 21-year-old man by officers two years ago.
The Ventura County Star (http://bit.ly/1qtPjSj ) reports the amount of the settlement was announced Tuesday by lawyers for the family of Alfonso Limon Jr. It was later confirmed by Police Chief Jeri Williams.
The chief said it is among the largest accidental death settlements ever paid by the city.
Police admitted they mistakenly fired on Limon, an innocent bystander, because they believed he was a suspect during a shootout that followed a traffic stop.
Limon's family said he had been out jogging when he was caught in the crossfire in October 2012.
Information from: Ventura County Star, http://venturacountystar.com