Tuesday, March 4, 2014
CARMEL, Calif. (AP) — A natural gas explosion that was heard eight blocks away destroyed a vacant Carmel home and blew out windows in two homes nearby.
Monterey Fire Division Chief Felix Colello tells the Santa Cruz Sentinel (http://bit.ly/1jOEdEB ) that the area around the home was evacuated for more than an hour after Monday's blast.
The fire chief says the house filled with natural gas and may have been set off by a water heater.
The house has been vacant for about 12 years, but it did have active gas and electric service.
The city of Monterey provides fire services in Carmel on a contract basis.
Information from: Santa Cruz Sentinel, http://www.santacruzsentinel.com