Tuesday, June 10
PASADENA, Calif. (AP) — The father of an unarmed man who was killed by Pasadena police has settled a wrongful death lawsuit against the city.
The Pasadena Star-News (http://bit.ly/1oL8dEU ) says the settlement was announced Tuesday in federal court as trial was about to begin. The man's mother settled her part of the lawsuit last week.
Settlement details weren't announced.
Nineteen-year-old Kendrec McDade was shot by police in March 2012 after a 911 caller said two men had robbed him at gunpoint.
Authorities say McDade was the lookout while a 17-year-old companion stole a backpack from a car but it turned out that neither was armed.
The 17-year-old later admitted to juvenile theft charges.
The 911 caller, Oscar Carrillo, pleaded guilty to filing a false police report.
Information from: Pasadena Star-News, http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/