Saturday, February 8, 2014
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles firefighters say a 98-year-old woman has died after being pulled from a house fire.
The woman, who was not identified, died of smoke inhalation. The fire early Saturday was sparked by a floor furnace.
Fire spokesman Erik Scott told City News Service that firefighters had to use saws to cut through the metal security door. Once inside, they found the woman near the entrance.
There was a smoke alarm in the house, but it was not immediately clear if it was working.
Firefighters fanned out around the neighborhood after knocking down the fire and handed out free smoke alarms to residents.